Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Toy Theory, part 2

So what am I supposed to do about toys?

Short answer: I don't know.

Honestly, I wish I could reduce down to like a Waldorf level of a few building blocks and some Waldorf dolls. Waldorf dolls are simple enough they could be baby dolls or older (and not sexualized. Don't get me started on Barbies) and I could make all sorts of clothes for them, or turn them into fairies or mermaids or whatever.

Completely a tangent, I found a website on making a Waldorf doll: https://www.newlifeonahomestead.com/how-to-make-a-waldorf-doll/ Admittedly, I am intimidated. My mom, of course, says, "We can do it!" I'm not sure she actually looked at the site, she just always thinks that until proven wrong.

Anyhow.

A friend at church, I asked her the style of toy management she used and she said "my own." Apparently, she rotates toys out and keeps boxes of them in the garage. I do have plenty of storage space in my basement, so I could do something like this.

And I have.

I don't quite have it in me to get rid of everything that isn't Waldorf. So many stuffed animals, some Beanie Babies from my own childhood. Others are gifted the girls, so even if I had started strong, I'd still have a "what do I do with these two beloved stuffed dogs?" moment.

So I made several boxes and I'm going to rotate them. Every week. Or kind of. Until I just throw it all out, I guess. It's a good option because it allows me to put in the stuff I had in the basement that wasn't loved enough to be upstairs, but was interesting/loved enough to not throw away. It keeps stuff fresh. It keeps the toy level manageable.

Several things are staples, and I don't rotate them, like the three Ikea mice, Rose's Ty stuffed dragons, the girls' homemade dragons plushies, small plastic animals, and some odds and ends that don't really have a place. Baby toys. Musical instruments.

Caveat: There are often conversations where Rose says, "Where's [random toy]?" and I have to be like, "It's in a box. It'll come back eventually." Which is apparently not a satisfying answer.

I themed them. I didn't start with that idea, but sometimes the groups just work together.

Box 1: Dragons

Box 2: Safari

Box 3: Farm

Box 4: Small nature things (think flowers, fairies, mice, reptiles)

Box 5: Woodland

Each box (almost) has a set of plastic animals, a "house" of a sorts (mouse house, tree house, barn, etc), some stuffed animals, a building toy (blocks, connecting flowers, peg board, etc), and a puzzle. That way if they get it all out, it's not ALL the puzzles getting mixed up.

I haven't been fantastic at switching them, but it's not a bad system.

I need more tubs.

Also, don't ask about the basement. What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why would you want dough that's sour?

 Let me preface this with "I Don't Know What Sourdough Is." Something to do with yeast and keeping it around and alive. To wha...